Despite what they say, email is not dead. In fact, if Facebook were to shut down, and you rely on it 100%, then your business would suffer a lot. Therefore, it’s important to have your own email list.
You want to develop your list so you can send a weekly note announcing specials and happenings about your business. Your weekly note doesn’t have to be lengthy or flashy… it just needs to be relevant and valuable.
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to build an email list from scratch for your hometown business.
- Choose an email company – I recommend MailChimp. It is free for small lists and there are lots of helpful tutorials on how to get started. If you want it set up for you, email me and we can see what we can work out.
- Name your list – You could call it the Insiders Club or VIP List.
- Put signs up everywhere – physical signs in your store, sign up boxes on your website and on Facebook. Put it on your brochures and business cards. EVERYONE should know about it.
- Offer an immediate incentive for joining your list. A free or discounted product. A coupon. Something that doesn’t cost a lot but has value.
- Send a weekly message.
- Repeat every week 🙂
Things your fans want to know about:
- Sales and specials
- New products
- Complementary products perhaps offered by a neighboring business – get creative here
- Special events
- Behind the scenes of your business
- Spotlight a customer
Your email messages don’t need to be flashy. They just need to deliver content your customers want. By creating a weekly message to them, they will come to count on it.
Do you need a little help getting started or setting things up? Email me so we can chat about it. My goal is for you to succeed!